12/12/09

The children are supported at the UNICEF Snowflake Ball





I had a blast at the annual UNICEF Snowflake Ball at Cipriani's. The work UNICEF does for children around the world has always been very close to my heart. As a child my parents donated money to organizations that helped in need children overseas, and we had pictures up of some of the children we were sponsoring. I knew at a young age how severe the crisis of poverty and poor health care is in many countries. A goal of mine since 6 years old has been to adopt children from Africa and/or Latin American countries, not just because that's my heritage, but mainly because the children in those regions are in more need then the children in the US.

It was a lovely affair, and LA Reid was honored, and Mariah Carey gave him his award. I have loved her music since I was a child, and it was nice to see her. I'm so happy her acting has been gaining praise, because this is one singer that can actually act well! I also met Bryant Gumbel's daughter, Jillian Beth Gumbel. She is really nice and is a volunteer for UNICEF's "The Next Generation". (I am sorry to report that just a couple days after this event, Bryant Gumbel announced he has cancer. Please pray for him and his family during this trying time.)

I met some people who live in Africa, and after telling them of my life long intention of going to Mother Africa, they said they could help me come! It was a dream come true, and I am seriously going to go in 2010. There was a lot of friendly people at the gala. The beautiful Betts sisters ( Maggie and Jessie ) were part of the hosting team for the gala, and also the after party.

After the gala we went to the official after party at Juliet. It sure was a lot of fun! I like having fun when I know it's for a vital and good cause.

Please help UNICEF protect and heal innocent children around the world. Info:http://www.unicef.org/index.php

Photograph captions: Top: Mariah Carey, Ashley - Middle: Jillian Beth Gumbel, Bryant Gumbel, Ashley - Bottom: Prudence Chaiban, Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment